Search across Library resources
Search across the catalogue and article databases at the same time!!
- Go to the Library Homepage for information about our library resources and services
- Check out the range of Subject Guides available
- Remember to access Databases from the Library Homepage when off-campus. This will give you fulltext access to the Otago resources.
- For fulltext access to Otago resources always use the Google Scholar off-campus access link
- Recalls - All books may be recalled by another borrower, at any time, and an earlier due date automatically assigned. Distance students usually get 10 days to return a recalled item. The overdue fine rate for books that have been recalled is $1.00 per day
E-books of interest
Welcome! from the Distance Library team
The friendly Distance Library Team (from left) back row Christy, Melanie, Emma, Jessie; front row Bronwyn, Jacinda, Lucy and Dana
Any student studying a Distance paper through the University of Otago is eligible to use the Distance Library Service.
- All Distance Library Services are FREE !
- We will scan a book chapter or journal article and supply it to you via email within 48 hours
- Books are sent via courier and we include a freepost label so there will be no charge for return postage
- We will email and let you know if there is going to be a delay
- All library messages go to your student email account so if you do not check it regularly set up an auto forward within PIMS - My details - Email forwarding
For questions about delivery of books and journal articles email: email@example.com
Freephone: 0800 347 826 or 0800 DISTANT (NZ only) (24 hour answer phone)
Phone: 64 3 479 8940 (24 hour answer phone)
For help on using Library resources for your assignments and research contact your Liaison Librarian
Students on Placement
- Students who are enrolled in an on campus paper but go out of Dunedin on placement can use the distance service
- NB: You cannot use the library catalogue to request a book. You need to use the
Distance Library Request form.
- The FIRST time you place a request, please use the notes field to let the Distance staff know that you are on placement.
Request books from the Library Catalogue...
Go to the Library catalogue, search for the item you require and once found, click on 'Make a request'
- Use Call Slip to request items from any location including all Dunedin branches, Storage, Canterbury Medical Library, Wellington Medical Library and Southland Campus Library. Select pick up location of Distance to have the item posted to you.
- Use Recall - to request an item currently on loan. Select pick up location of Distance to have the item posted to you.
- Catalogue request didn't work / Couldn't find it on the Catalogue? Complete the Distance Request form instead.
Requesting journal articles and book chapters
The Distance Library Service can email you scans of books chapters and journal articles. To request a scan complete the Distance request form
The New Zealand Copyright Act allows us to scan a 'reasonable portion' of a publication on your behalf, unfortunately we can not scan whole books or journal issues. Check with the Distance team if you have any questions.
Other Libraries you can use
If you live in one of the main centres around New Zealand you may use the local University Library to borrow books.
You will need proof of your enrolment at the University of Otago, and address details to join.
The New Zealand Libraries which have agreed to share their collections are:
Auckland University of Technology
University of Waikato
Victoria University of Wellington
University of Canterbury
University of Otago