Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
To find multimedia material using Library Search
You can use Library Search to search for multimedia including images, photographs, video, audio and musical recordings. Just enter your topic into the search box:
Searching for AV material in the Library Catalogue
- You can use Library Search | Ketu to search for feature films, TV series and documentaries on DVD and Video (remember to use the Audiovisual limit)
- You must have your student ID with you to borrow DVDs/Videos/CDs
eTV provides FREE access to recorded TV programmes, live streams and on demand videos for University of Otago staff and students.
Note that eTV content cannot be watched on computers on the Otago Student network i.e..you may need to watch content off-campus. It is recommended that eTV is accessed using Firefox
Go to eTV
If you have not registered to use eTV, this video provides instructions on how to go about it.
Other multimedia databases
Looking for a documentary, image, sound file, chart etc? Then try one of the following:
Academic Video Online This link opens in a new window
. A cross-search interface that provides access to the Library subscribed video collections from Alexander Street Press.
DigitalNZ This link opens in a new window
. Aims to make New Zealand digital content easy to find, share and use. This includes content from government departments, publicly funded organisations, the private sector, and community groups.
Hocken Snapshop This link opens in a new window
. A small sample of the photographs of New Zealand people and places held at Hocken Collections. You can print or download any of these images for personal and research use.
Matapihi This link opens in a new window
. Searchable database of over 250,000 pictures, objects, sounds, movies, and texts from New Zealand’s archives, galleries, libraries and museums.
World Digital Library
Contains significant primary materials from cultures around the world, including manuscripts, maps, rare books, musical scores, recordings, films, prints, photographs, architectural drawings, and other significant cultural materials.
Streaming video collections
These are just some of the many video streaming collections available online.
To find additional video online, try searching one of the many video search engines listed on this Comprehensive Search Engine List.
Take a trip through the past with the BBC archives.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading.
Watch documentary films, movies, series and episodes online for free.
Includes many University channels, documentaries and playlists
Demystifying Addiction through Personal Stories: An Online Educational Resource
A new online educational resource for learning about addiction directly from people who have experienced it. The Project team includes Rachel Tester (Principal Investigator), Dr Helen Moriarty & Dr Maria Stubbe (Department of Primary Health Care and General Practice, University of Otago Wellington). The resource is available on the AkoAotearoa website.
Ovid has now introduced multimedia functionality to the OvidSP database platform. Videos and images from a range of books and Lippincott Williams & Wilkins journals are now available for searching together with Ovid databases.
- Include Multimedia Checkbox - allows you to choose whether or not to include Multimedia as part of your search
- Removal of Thumbnails from Initial Search- you will no longer see thumbnails within your initial search results, but will have easy access to all results by clicking on the Multimedia results banner
- Improved View By Results Toggle - shows you how many Text and Multimedia search results get returned
Anatomy & Physiology resources
The Library has access to some online Anatomy and Physiology resources
- eAnatomy is an atlas of human anatomy (cross-sectional anatomy, gross anatomy, radiological anatomy) which provides medical imaging and pictures of head and neck, thorax abdomen and pelvis, limbs, and spine.
- Anatomy & Physiology Online includes 20 modules with clear 3D images and interactive models, narrated animations and illustrations, dissection slides you can label, clinical case studies, the impact of aging on each body systems, pronunciation guide, quizzes and much more.
- Primal Pictures Anatomy (Anatomy TV) inlcudes regional and specialist anatomy (e.g. dentistry, sports medicine, surgery) modules.
Anatomy & Physiology Online and Primal Pictures Anatomy (Anatomy TV) are available through the Ovid interface:
Alexander Street Press
This collection defines and explores today’s latest medical progress in health and wellness issues and their impact on society-- with hundreds of premium documentaries, profiles, reports, and interviews.
Go to Health Collections on Alexander Street Press.
A streaming service that provides access to video content sourced from leading suppliers. The Speaking from Experience series - patients and carers talking about particular conditions - is available through this service.
Go to Kanopy
Search academic video online (on campus)
Alexander Street Press: VAST:Academic Video Online
Search thousands of award-winning films from dozens of producers and distributors