Symonds Street Cemetery Auckland
A once remote location the Symonds Street Cemetery was established in 1842, when Auckland was the capital of New Zealand, with a population of 2000. At that time the area was out beyond the town limits, and the location was considered appropriate for a cemetery because of the wide, sweeping views. Land was set aside for burials from 1842, with each religion given a seperate area. To the east of Symonds Street facing towards the harbour were the Anglican and Weslyan burial grounds. To the west of Symonds Street were the Jewish, Presbyterian and Roman Catholic areas. In 1905 the Cemetery was closed and given to Auckland City Council as a public park.