Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About this guide
This Guide brings together important research resources for Chemistry. These include article databases & journals, major reference works, and other key sources.
Different types of resources are available via the navigation bar, above.
For help with finding chemistry research materials, please contact the Subject Librarian for Chemistry.
New Otago Chemistry Publications
Library Services - Orange Light
COVID-19 Orange Light - Libraries, including Group Study Rooms, are open; please ensure safe distancing in these spaces. Face masks are strongly recommended whilst working indoors. Practise good hand hygiene.
Libraries are only open to University staff and students, except for Hocken Library (public also permitted). Library staff are available via LibChat and email firstname.lastname@example.org, Monday to Friday, 8:30–5:00pm.
Be on our OU-WIFI so we can track & trace all users.
Latest news is on our Library homepage.
Have a question? Try our AskOtago FAQs page or try our AskLibrary FAQs page.
Postgraduate Information Sessions and Workshops 2022
There are Library sessions and workshops provided specifically for Postgraduate students. For more information and to register go to our Zoom workshops.
Information sessions 10-11am (via Zoom) on Wednesdays
- 26 Jan, 28 Sep - Postgraduate Library Services – An introduction to Library support, recommended resources and services.
- 23 Feb, 26 Oct - Effective Search Strategies - Learn how to search recommended databases for relevant literature, and manage your results
- 30 Mar, 9 Nov - The Thesis Guide – For new thesis students, about preparation, copyright compliance, submitting, and depositing.
- 27 Apr, 23 Nov - Researcher Profiles - Building an online profile to promote your research, and yourself.
Hands-on Workshops 10-11.30am (via Zoom) on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 19 May, 6 Oct - Research Data Management - Make sense of the complexity around data storage, description, re-use and archiving (face-to-face only).
- 3 May, 11 Oct - Getting published - Practical tips for postgraduates. Learn how to develop a publishing strategy and identify the right journals for submission.
- 5 May, 13 Oct - Impact Metrics - Understand tools that explain impact factors and ranking for what to read, and where to publish.
ITS and Library staff offer EndNote: Key Functions and EndNote: Advanced Functions - Zoom workshops using EndNote to store, group, edit and annotate references, and cite while you write. For PC or Mac bookings check dates and times here.
Library Kaiāwhina are here to support tauira Māori across the University of Otago Libraries. Find out who they are.
Subject Librarian / Kaitiaki Pukapuka
Featured Chemistry Resource
Here is the free complete open-access version of the long-standing peer-reviewed journal, Organic Syntheses.