Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
These sites contain useful information:
New Zealand Parliament This link opens in a new window
Information about our MPs, parties, electorates, parliament and parliamentary business (including Bills, Select Committees, Hansard, journals, papers and petitions)
Parliamentary Bulletin online
Access to the Weekly Journal, progress of legislation through the house, sitting programme and more.
Parliamentary Bulletin (hardcopy)
Weekly schedule of parliamentary business before the House, including progress of Bills, and Select Committees, from 1986. Held at Central Government Publications 3OC5, Hocken and Law Library
Cabinet Office Manual 2008
Authoritative guide to central government decision making for Ministers, their offices, and those working within government. It is also a key source of information on New Zealand's constitutional arrangements, as seen through the lens of the executive branch of government. Online updates.
Guides about specific bills, to assist parliamentarians.
Journals & Appendices
Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives 1858+ - Central Government Publications 3OC5
- Known as A to Js or AJHR. (The House of Representatives is Parliament's official name)
- Contain many annual reports of government departments and agencies, treaties & other important official papers e.g. the Budget
- Appendices are classified by letters (A to I) and numbers ("shoulder numbers" ) which tend to remain the same from session to session eg: the Budget is always B6, the Education Dept. Annual report is E1
- To find the appropriate "shoulder number" for a paper consult the index at the back of any bound set of Appendices
- Annual Reports not in the AJHR - search NZ Government individual department webpages
Historical AtoJs online 1858-1950, also including Votes and Proceedings 1854-1856.
Journals of the House of Representatives 1858+ - Central Government Publications 3OC5
- The formal record or minutes of Parliament
- Useful schedules are included, e.g. "Schedule of papers", "Schedule of select committees" and "Schedule of public bills"
Journals of the House of Representatives 2006+
Journal of the House of Representatives 2008+ - cumulative current year and sessional indexes