Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Photo credit School of Geography website: https://www.otago.ac.nz/geography/index.html
Welcome to the Physical Geography Subject Guide!
This Guide brings together important research resources for physical Geography. These include article databases & journals, major reference works, websites, statistics and other key sources.
Use the blue navigation bar (by clicking on the tabs at the top - Journals, Books etc) to browse the different resources.
Looking for Academic Literature - try these databases
Below are the four best places to start searching for academic literature on your topic. Explore the tabs along the top for even more options.
Postgraduate Library Information Sessions and Workshops 2022
There are Library sessions and workshops provided specifically for Postgraduate students. For more information and to register go to face-to-face sessions, or Zoom workshops.
Information sessions 10-11am (face to face) and 1-2pm (via Zoom) on the last Wednesday of the month
- 29 Sep - Postgraduate Library Services – An introduction to Library support, recommended resources and services.
- 27 Oct - Effective Search Strategies - Learn how to search recommended databases for relevant literature, and manage your results
- 10 Nov - The Thesis Guide – For new thesis students, about preparation, copyright compliance, submitting, and depositing.
- 25 Aug, 24 Nov - Researcher Profiles - Building an online profile to promote your research, and yourself.
Hands-on Workshops 10-11.30am (face to face) and 1-2.30pm (via Zoom) on Tuesdays & Thursdays twice a year
- 21 Oct - Research Data Management - Make sense of the complexity around data storage, description, re-use and archiving.
- 12 Oct - Getting published - Practical tips for postgraduates. Learn how to develop a publishing strategy and identify the right journals for submission.
- 14 Oct - Impact Metrics - Understand tools that explain impact factors and ranking for what to read, and where to publish.
ITS and Library staff offer EndNote: Managing your references - A hands-on workshop using EndNote to store, group, edit and annotate references, and cite while you write (basic level). For PC or Mac bookings check dates here.