Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Dunedin campus Library locations
Library Services - Orange Light
COVID-19 Orange Light - Libraries, including Group Study Rooms, are open; please ensure safe distancing in these spaces. Face masks are strongly recommended whilst working indoors. Practise good hand hygiene.
Libraries are only open to University staff and students, except for Hocken Library (public also permitted). Library staff are available via LibChat and email email@example.com, Monday to Friday, 8:30–5:00pm.
Be on our OU-WIFI so we can track & trace all users.
Latest news is on our Library homepage.
Have a question? Try our AskOtago FAQs page or try our AskLibrary FAQs page.
Nau mai haere mai! Welcome to your Surveying subject guide!
How to use this guide:
- This subject guide is intended to be used primarily by Surveying students who are studying at the University of Otago.
- It is not intended to be read in one go, it is designed to be used as a resource that can be referred to as needed, depending on the need, and depending on the level of study users of the guide are at.
- Each ‘tab’ listed along the top is a link to a list of resources and/or information on how to make the best use of these resources.
Postgraduate Information Sessions and Workshops 2022
There are Library sessions and workshops provided specifically for Postgraduate students. For more information and to register go to our Zoom workshops.
Information sessions 10-11am (via Zoom) on Wednesdays
- 26 Jan, 28 Sep - Postgraduate Library Services – An introduction to Library support, recommended resources and services.
- 23 Feb, 26 Oct - Effective Search Strategies - Learn how to search recommended databases for relevant literature, and manage your results
- 30 Mar, 9 Nov - The Thesis Guide – For new thesis students, about preparation, copyright compliance, submitting, and depositing.
- 27 Apr, 23 Nov - Researcher Profiles - Building an online profile to promote your research, and yourself.
Hands-on Workshops 10-11.30am (via Zoom) on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- 19 May, 6 Oct - Research Data Management - Make sense of the complexity around data storage, description, re-use and archiving (face-to-face only).
- 3 May, 11 Oct - Getting published - Practical tips for postgraduates. Learn how to develop a publishing strategy and identify the right journals for submission.
- 5 May, 13 Oct - Impact Metrics - Understand tools that explain impact factors and ranking for what to read, and where to publish.
ITS and Library staff offer EndNote: Key Functions and EndNote: Advanced Functions - Zoom workshops using EndNote to store, group, edit and annotate references, and cite while you write. For PC or Mac bookings check dates and times here.
Subject Librarian | Kaitiaki Pukapuka
Library Kaiāwhina are here to support tauira Māori across the University of Otago Libraries. Find out who they are.